SPIN Chennai (Software Process Improvement Network) is a forum of Software Professionals for open exchange of Software Process improvement experiences and ideas. The organization serves as a source of educational, scientific and practical information for its members, other SPIN organizations and the general software community.
The SPIN group aims to be a leadership forum for open exchange of Software Process Improvement experiences and ideas, covering all aspects of how an organization improves the way it develops and maintains software and delivers software intensive services. SPIN Chennai organizes a variety of meetings, all aimed at mutual self-help for practitioners.
SPIN Chennai was formed as early as 1994 and was one of the earliest SPIN chapters in India. It has been functioning as a voluntary body of software professionals since then. Since it’s inception it has held numerous talks featuring many interesting topics on Software Process Improvement featuring some outstanding personalities viz.. Dr.Watts Humphrey (Software Engineering Institute, SEI) , Mr.Steve Masters (SEI) , Mr.David Reo (European Software Institute) Mr. Terry Rout, International office – Griffith University , Mr.Lakshmi Narayanan – COO , Cognizant Technology Solutions, Mr. Steve Shook , AIS Inc., Dr.Mark C Paulk, scientist – Carneige Melon University, Mr. Ron Radice (STT), Dr. Bala Balachandran (Kellogg Business School).
- “Chennai SPIN strives to provide an open forum for software process improvement professionals to share knowledge, experiences and grow professionally to be the best in the class.”
- SPIN Chennai strives to enable and enhance IT professional’s value by creating an environment and opportunities to develop knowledge, skills, professionalism and application of software engineering and management practices
- Fostering and enabling corporate, community and educational networking opportunities through Inspiring culture of Collaboration, Learning and Sharing
- Partnering with Industry and Academia to nurture industry best practices and standards
- Collaboration platform for professionals, organization and industry in disseminating IT best practices
SPIN Chennai is managed by voluntary group of experts, who would like to contribute to the area of software and systems process improvement. This consists of an Advisory Committee, Steering Committee and the Working Committee.
SPIN Chennai is guided by an advisory committee of eminent IT personalities of Chennai. The advise and guide the Steering Committee to perform the day to day activities.
Steering Committee consists of persons with immense experience in Software and Systems Process Improvement, who have many years of hands on experience in these areas. The Steering Committee is headed by the President (Leader) and supported by the Secretary (Co-leader). There will be seven to fifteen steering committee members, as decided by the steering committee then in effect. The other roles such as Treasurer and Membership Coordinator will be nominated by the committee.
Responsibilities of steering committee:
- Manage the affairs of the SPIN Chennai
- Maintain coordination with other SPIN organizations
- Identify meeting coordinators for the SPIN meetings
- Select and coordinate topics and speakers for SPIN meetings
- Approve the establishment, charter, and dissolution of working groups
- Appoint working group chairperson
- Elect Steering Committee members to the roles described in the charter
- Review the operation of the SPIN periodically to determine improvements in its operation
- Solicit feedback from SPIN participants as needed
Working Committee of dedicated professionals, who aspire to contribute towards software process improvement and SPIN Chennai. Working Committees are constituted by the President on the advice of the Steering Committee. Working group should be headed by a committee member but may consist of non-members. Working Committees can be permanent or temporary (for a specific event).